Thursday, September 23, 2010

Lessons from Recent Interview Candidates: What NOT to do on a job interview.

Recently, a few really good people left Sandia, so we are trying to fill these positions in my department. Naturally, we are in the process of interviewing candidates for these spots. It has not gone well. Who knew it was going to be this hard to find quality candidates?

Last week, during my interview with a candidate I asked him if he had any questions for me. His response: "how do I make a million dollars?" Really? Out of all the questions that you can ask an interviewer, he chose to ask me that!?!?! I mean, i know we teach students that there is no such thing as a bad question, but there is something to be said for relevance.

That candidate was not nearly as bad as the one I interviewed today. In addition to not being strong technically, she entirely misses the mark socially. For example, two of my colleagues took the candidate to lunch. After one colleague (let's call him colleague A) and the candidate was finished eating their portions, the candidate proceeded to reach across the table to colleague B's plate, and asked "do you mind if I have a fry?" Before colleague B was able to respond, the candidate picked up a french fry and ate it.

Seriously? Really? Seriously? When is that EVER appropriate in a professional setting? When is that appropriate on an interview?

Oh, you want another example of the candidate's awkwardness? During my manager's 1 on 1 interview with the candidate he explains that his educational background was in electrical engineering. The candidate's response: "that's hot!" This candidate was really all over the place. She reminded me of the dog in the movie Up..........SQUIRREL!

Does anyone else have any funny interview stories? Please share.

1 comment:

  1. That's incredible. Most of my awkward experiences are at career fairs. I once talked to a guy for 15 minutes - he was trying to sell me on flying saucer technology. He was 100% serious.

    ReplyDelete