Friday, September 3, 2010

What did I just sign up for?

Wow, what did I just get myself into?

There are times wheni have these grand plans and/or ideas (in the voice of Gru: "light bulb"). In recent history there was the idea to run both the Pike's Peak Ascent and the North Face Endurance Challenge Half Marathon without training. (Those of you "in the know" may remember me telling the story of getting a charlie horse in my left calf 1/4 of a mile to the finish line. Then hyperventilating while crossing the finish line. And pulling yet another muscle spasm while in the first aid tent getting stretched out.) Or, there was this great idea to run the Long Beach marathon this October (although there may be a happy ending to this story...I'll let you know in two months).

Well, my grand idea for 2011 (i know, a little early for new year resolutions) is to complete a half Ironman. Last night, I took the plunge. I signed up for the Rohto Ironman 70.3 Hawaii. For those you who are not aware, a half ironman is a 70.3 mile long triathlon. It consists of a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike ride, and a 13.1 mile run. WOW, I'm tired just typing those distances...I may need a GU to complete this blog. I'm attaching an image of the course map.


It's no joke.

Although this is a HUGE goal, I'm very excited and anxious to train for this event.I mean, is there a better way to ensure that I will be in beach shape for Hawaii? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment